Anyone who plans on renting a vehicle should bring the following:
- A copy of your driver’s license
- Proof of insurance
- Credit card, debit card, or cash
Smith’s Rent-A-Car accepts the following methods of payment:
- Most debit cards
- Company accounts
Full authorization/payment is due at the time of the rental. Should you request an extension, payment is to be made at the time of the extension.
Paying with a Debit Card
A customer who wants to pay with a debit card will need to provide the following:
- Two current utility bills with the name of the renter on them
- $200 security deposit
- Proof of insurance
- A copy of the renter’s driver’s license
Paying with Cash
We are one of the few agencies that allow you to rent a car with cash. A customer who wants to pay with cash will need to present us with the following:
- Proof of local (Sonoma County, California) residence in the form of a utility bill (PG&E or a phone bill)
- A copy of your driver’s license: your name and address must exactly match those printed on your license
- Proof of insurance
- A deposit amount of $200 (refundable upon returning the vehicle)
Driver’s License Restriction
If the address on your driver’s license contains a Post Office Box, a recent utility bill with your home address is required. If you hold an out-of-state license, you must supply contact information, and you must pay with a credit card.
Insurance and Coverage
All renters/drivers must have an active automobile liability insurance policy. For business use, all renters/drivers should provide proof of auto liability insurance for hired autos/non-owned autos.
All renters must have full coverage insurance. If renter does not have collision coverage, he or she will be charged a collision waiver fee.
Credit Card Collision Insurance Coverage
We do not accept credit card collision coverage as a type of insurance.
No Towing Allowed
We do not rent any vehicle with a tow hitch.
No Smoking Allowed
There is a no smoking policy for all our vehicles. Evidence of smoking in the vehicle will result in a minimum $100 smoking fee.
Drivers that are 21-24 years of age may be subject to a surcharge of ten dollars per day.
Our rental rates do not include the cost of fuel. Please return the vehicle with the amount of fuel you had when you received it. The fuel-level amount will be printed or marked on your rental contract. We will not reimburse you if you over fill, and we charge five dollars per gallon if the rental is returned short on fuel.
Driving Area Restrictions
Driving is restricted to the state of California. Neighboring states (Arizona, Nevada, Oregon) can be approved with prior authorization from a rental agent.
Additional drivers are also recognized as if they are the principal driver and must have their own liability insurance. No additional drivers will be removed from the contract after the vehicle leaves our office. All additional drivers are responsible for the vehicle until the vehicle is returned.
Damaged Glass, Tires, and Rims
The renter is fully responsible for all glass, tire, wheel, and hubcap damage during the rental period. Regardless of whether the damages were caused by a road hazard, driver error, or a blowout, the renter will be held responsible and charged for any expenses to repair the vehicle or to replace the damaged areas. Unfortunately, road hazards exist. However, we cannot assume responsibility for the damage they cause, so please be aware and alert while operating your rental.
Smith’s Rent-A-Car does have a drop box for after-hours returns. Ask about our procedure.
All rental vehicles are charged at a daily rate. The length of a daily rate is a 24-hour period. When returning your rental, you have a one-hour grace period. However, if you exceed the 24-hour period by more than one hour (the grace period), an hourly late charge will apply to each hour late, starting from the first late hour, until you reach the daily rate. The hourly late fee is 1/3 the price of your daily rate, which is established on the rental agreement. When the total late fee is equivalent to your daily rate, you will be charged only an additional day.
If you decide to take pets along for the ride, please place a protective cover—such as a dog blanket—over the seat and keep your pet confined to that area. A minimum $100 cleaning and shampoo fee will be charged if pet hairs are found on the seats. If you have questions about this policy, feel free to contact us.
The renter is responsible for all parking, traffic, speeding, or other tickets or violations issued while the vehicle is being rented. The renter must pay for any fees, penalties, towing charges, or impound costs.
For further questions, please read our FAQs page or contact us at 888-778-0656 (toll free) or 707-584-7900 (locally).
Breakdown Procedure & Policy
Though our vehicles are not new, they receive regular maintenance and are in excellent, road-worthy condition. When dealing with any machine, new or not, an unanticipated breakdown may occur. The following information is intended to assist you in dealing with such an occurrence, specifically when far from our office.
In the event of a serious malfunction such as overheating, suspected transmission or clutch problem, brakes not responding properly or making any grinding sounds, the vehicle must NOT BE DRIVEN any farther and should be TOWED to the nearest repair facility. Any damage caused to the vehicle due to renter not abiding by these procedures will become the responsibility of the renter.
- If the problem is minor, such as a flat tire, dead battery, or other obvious condition, we ask that you get the car to a service facility in a safe and reasonable manner. Should the cost of the repair be under $50.00, we ask that you pay it and we will reimburse you upon your return.
- If the problem is of a more serious nature, the renter needs to call us from the service facility so that we can speak with the mechanic to determine the nature of the problem, time required for the repair, and payment arrangements.
- If the repair can be accomplished within a reasonable time frame, we ask that the renter be patient and wait out the repair.
- In a case where the vehicle cannot be repaired in a timely fashion, the renter needs to obtain a rental car from a different company. Our company will reimburse you for the unused portion of your rental agreement with us.
- We DO NOT pay for any of the following expenses you might incur as the result of a breakdown:
B. Hotel, motel, or other lodging accommodations
D. Lost wages
E. Any other transportation costs
Questions About Our Policies? Contact Us!
U-Haul Rental Policies
- To rent a cargo van, a credit card is required.
- Trucks must be cleaned out prior to return of U-Haul rental to avoid cleaning fee.
- Moving pads must be refolded prior to return to avoid service fee.
DISCLAIMER: This form is for informational purposes only. It is not designed to replace our rental agreement, and our rental agreement supersedes any information found on this page. Policies may be changed without notice. Last updated 2/4/13.